Pulteneytown Parish Church
In 1838 Caithness Presbytery received a petition from the Rev. Robert Phinn, explaining that there was much need for a Church in the expanding area of Thomas Telford's Pulteneytown. The Church took three years to build and construction was eventually finished in 1842. It cost £1,700 but the full cost was not met until 1878. While the Church was being built the congregation met in Pulteneytown Academy assembly hall. Money for the building came from the Brittish Fisheries Society, Magistrates Heritors, the Church extension committee and the local people.
Pulteneytown Parish Church opened on November 6th 1842. The opening service was held by Rev. Charles Thomson who was the minister of the Bridge Street Church at the time. From 1843 to 1851 there is no record of a minister at the Church.
1853-1853: Rev. Archibald Milligan
1855-1859: Rev. Gemmel
1861-?: Rev. William Smith
1863-?: Rev. Alexander Machardy
1865-?: Rev. Alexander Souttar
1867-1872: Rev. David Jack
1872-1874: Rev. Robert Walker
1874-1875: Rev. William Reid
1878-?: Rev. Harley Anderson
1883-?: Rev. David Mitchell
?-?: Rev. Alexander Sutherland
?-?: Rev. Stephen Green
1943-1953: Rev. George Ramage
1953-?: Rev. John Robertson
1959-?: Rev. Robert McGee
1967-1974: Rev. Alexander Gunn
1974-?: Rev. William Wallace
2011-2013: Rev. Stuart Farmes
2013-2018: Rev. Ian McCree (acting)
2018-Present: Rev. Andrew Barrie
In 1873 the Church seated nine hundred and thirty people and there were ten teachers and one hundred and twenty scholars in the Sunday School. In 1876 there was requests for an evening service, so this was taken on and evening meetings were held once a month. However, the Church had no manse but in 1905 a manse was finally built in Coronation Street. Rev. Ian McCree was the acting pastor until a permanent Minister was found in 207, the Rev. Andrew Barrie.
Thrumster Church today.
The building before the extension was added.
During the construction of the new glass extension.
A newspaper clipping from the early 1980's.
Thrumster Church sign.