Wick Presbyterian Church
A meeting place for the Free Presbyterian Church which formed in 1893 was built in 1905 in Breadalbane Crescent beside the now derelict building which at the time of it’s erecting was the Breadalbane Picture House.
A newspaper article from a 1980’s edition of the John O’ Groat Journal.
In the early 2000’s the church merged with the Strathy congregation and meetings were being held in both churches where the Rev. J. Macaskill was overseeing the work as pastor. The Rev. Robert Sinclair was pastor of the church in the 1980’s and the Rev. J. Macaskill took over the work as the minister in the 2000’s serving as the last pastor until the Wick Presbyterian Church closed.
The church building as it is today which is not a listed building.
The fellowship remained as a Free Presbyterian denomination until between 1980 and 1990 when they took a step in joining the Associated Presbyterian Church where at the present time there are only nine congregations. Meetings were held in the building at 11:30am and 6:30pm with a prayer meeting on Wednesdays at 7:30, this continued until 2015 when the church merged with the Strathy congregation which is now non-existent. The church building in Wick went up for sale by Young Robertson and Co. and was privately bought in 2016 where plans for it to be converted into a home was rejected. It was then put back on the market and was bought by a local business located in Wick.
The interior of the Wick Presbyterian Church after it went up for sale.